Friday, December 21, 2007

The Meeting

The urbanite’s life

Waking up from a dream has never been just a phase for him. It was his way of life, his birth of creation, his entrance into the world again. His phone alarm beeps faintly. The image of reality creeps onto his mind. Finally, he is awake. Lights come on, and the radio blares the early morning music. Mornings are not the same, it has never been, and would probably not.

The ever-connected notebook shows an email. Time to work. Time to play.

“Eh, bro, where are you? Been waiting for the email”

“Hi there! Wanna go out to the new club tonite? The treats on me”

Sigh. “Replies, replies, if I can only ask a machine to do it. But then, where would the fun be? Haha..” The aroma of hard-boiled eggs and sweet Milo lingered in the air. Only a few seconds before Mom starts her call…

“Come down for breakfast, boy”

“Coming……”

Wow, the floor does feel cold at times. Even with my socks. The cement seemingly cuts through the bone. Ahh…the great taste of eggs and hot cocoa in the morning sure soothes the soul.

“You should hurry up for class, and do not forget our dinner tonight with your dad’s boss. I need you back home by ten, young man.”

“What! I thought it was cancelled, and I promised the gang for a party tonight.”

“Then cancel it. Where do you plan to party anyway? All this nightlife is not healthy for you.”

“Mom, I am not mixing with bad people and we don’t do bad things. Besides, I am a KL guy. That is what we do.”

“Living in KL means much more than that. You’ll understand more when you grow up”

“Being in university doesn’t equal growing up?”

“You’ll see sooner or later. Now, GO! The LRT doesn’t wait for the King you know?”

I somehow think it would.

Winds rushing past my face as I run down the stairs. I would be just in time for the bus and then the transit at Sentral. Now, I wonder where is the…..WO! I couldn’t believe my luck! Cammy in waiting for the bus too. Or is she really? Rumour has it that she feels like an ice queen sometimes. Devoid of emotion and grace. Somehow, I think I can help with that. I couldn’t help being more curious and interested. There would always be an obvious feature, her face. It looks just like an angel….

PHEENNNNN!!! OI! TAK DE MATA KAH?!!

Sigh. I guess dreams are just dreams at times. Wait a minute. She’s taking LST 221 also. Yeah, same neighbourhood, same lectures, same age, yet, lightyears apart. Could it ever get worse? Wait!! She smiled at me!! She’s walking in this direction! Calm down my heart. Steady, boy!

“Hi there. Is your name…..” sweet voice trailing away. Yes, girl, I am the man of your dreams…the…

“Vio. And your is Cammy right?”

“They say your weird…” Am not! Ok, just a bit.

“Sorry?”

“Oh!, my friends were talking about something. Anyway, could I borrow your LST notes? I need it to cross-reference it before….” There it goes again. I wonder why she expects me to understand her sentences, even though I do understand her.

“Sure. Before the exams right? Here is last weeks and I have the rest of it at home, would it be okay if I hand it over the next time?”

“Yeah sure. Thanks. What’s your ride?”

“Er….bus?”

“I meant what number?”

“Oh! I see, 54. Your taking the same one?”

“Nah, I have to run some errands first. See you in class then” She smiled again!

“Yeah, in class. Take care”

Gosh, would not a guy give up everything for her? Nah. I think she is hooked up anyway. Odd. Where’s the bus? It seems like an eternity now. 10:10am. It should be here.

No comments: